Monday, July 18, 2016

TUTORIAL: Ogroid Thoumaturge by Kelly Frieborg

Today I have hobbyist extraordinaire Kelly Frieborg showing off her brand new Ogroid Thoumaturge with a painting tutorial. You may have seen her awesome Alarielle model that GW shared on their Facebook page the other week. Without further ado, here she is!

Hello folks,

Today I am going to run through my process in basing and painting Ogriod Thoumaturge for GW's Silvertower game. I have painted a few other key figures for he game already and had established some parameters of what I wanted to carry through the whole set. My goals were to make each model a clearly different color scheme but overall to tie in to a theme for the group, and I wanted the models' bases to reflect some area of the game board.
For this model I started by looking at the artwork from Games Workshop. I liked the rendition on the box but wanted a slightly warmer color scheme. I thought, since I would most likely paint the runes teal or blue, a good skin accent would be something with an orange tone. I ended up with a color scheme that is very reminiscent of copper before (skin) and after (runes) corrosion. To be sure I was happy with the look prior to starting in on the model I did a quick color map outlining what I was going to use for all of the elements on the model.

The next point to consider was the base. Understanding what I wanted to do with the colors on the model I looked for a section of the board that would accent the model colors I had chosen. I ended up with a teal section of stairs with purple accents. Rather than just painting this on a flat base I modeled the entire thing to be three dimensional. The base was made up of two part greenstuff, I roughly molded the stairs and sunk in portions of the base and set that aside. I then made several tiny balls for the bottom of the pool and adjacent larger bubbly parts. Once the initial base was dry I went back in and carved off the top, stair edges, and pool edge to get the look I wanted. finally I infilled the pool with the little balls I had made and added the larger ones to the edge.
Finally I arrived at the painting process. this model's stance is fairly open and the base was not overwhelming so I painted the majority of the model as one piece. I initially separated the model and base and zenithol primed each. I then did all of the coloring of the skin on the model and main colors of the base, this process was a lot of shading and dry-brushing to save on time. The model was added to the base while I continued to add detail to the skin, metal, bones, and staff on the model as well as more detail on the base elements a lot of this process was done using wet blending and purposeful lining of highlighted areas.
Once most of the elements had been painted I went back through and added detailed highlights, refined transitions, and fixed mistakes where I could see him. I also painted the more intricate areas like the eye on the belt and freehand on the cloth.

After going through the whole process I realized I was not happy with the base, I went back and added liquid green stuff and sanded over it again, I also added a level of clear epoxy to the pool to give it a more fluid look.

Overall this mini was fun to paint and, I think, will be a good addition to my Silvertower force. I hope you found this helpful or at least entertaining for your ongoing modeling endeavors.


I have to say I really like the color choices used on her Ogroid. It makes it look much more like a magical beastman instead of a beastman made of magic, if that makes sense. Of course her base on this is outstanding yet again, which is no surprise considering her other Silver Tower bases. I would like to thank Kelly for taking the time to put this together for Mengel Miniatures and I look forward to seeing what she paints next. You can follow her on Twitter at @kelfrei to see all of the awesome minis she posts up there, including a Death army she is working on for next year's Adepticon.

Until next time,

Tyler M.

No comments:

Post a Comment