Thursday, July 10, 2014

Angron, the Red Angel, Lord of the XIIth

Hey everyone, I finished working on my Angron model a few days ago. I still have to finish his larger scenic base, but the main man himself is done!

This is my first finished Primarch model and man are they great! I have to admit that when I first started it I was kind of intimidated since I was afraid I would mess it up. I mean there would be nothing worse then messing up on a $100 model and not being able to fix it.

I actually started painting him way back in January but then lost steam, got distracted by other projects and ended up moving across the country. I finished all of his armor back then as well as one of the victims on his scenic base. A month or so ago I randomly decided that I wanted to get him done so I picked Angron back up and kept going. Every part of him was painted in chunks. When I did his armor I painted one leg entirely before going on to his torso and so on and so on. Same applies for every other part of him. 

This is how I tend to paint my higher end models since it allows me to focus all of my energy on making one small part of the model the best that it can possibly be. If I were to try and paint all of the armor to completion at the same time I would burn myself out and start taking short cuts without noticing it. This also has the benefit of making most of my painting sessions on him shorter, an hour or 2 a day instead of a mammoth 8 - 10 hour sessions, although a few of those did happen. I would say a total of 15 - 20 hours went into him and I will probably need to put in another 5 - 10 to finish his scenic base.

Here are some quick paint recipes for him:


Basecoat: Balthasar Gold
Wash: Agrax Earthshade
Drybrush/Layer: Balthasar Gold mixed with a little Runefang Steel.
I just did a light dry brush to pick out the details then layered the rest of it leaving the wash only in the crevices.
I then shaded it with purple and crimson washes on the lower half of the armor plates and mixed in more Runefang to highlight the upper half of the plates. There was a lot of going back and forth here so unfortunately there is no simple recipe I can give. Just keep going till you are happy. You never want the purple and crimson washes to stand out to much, they are more just to add some color variation to all the bronze.

Like I said, I still need to finish his larger scenic base (which may happen this weekend), so there will be one more update on him still. Al of these pictures were taken with my phone as well, and even though they turned out surprisingly good I will have even better ones with the next update. So my first Primarch is done and I only have 3 more waiting in the wings. Next up is Mortarion, but it may be awhile before you see anything on him, I need to get myself psyched up again.

This B&W shot shows how smooth the paint transitions are on a high end like this.
Also, please excuse the "dust" as I renovate the site. I will hopefully have it all set into its new format within the week. I have already added Disqus for the comments which I hope will improve everyones experience on here. Until next time,

Tyler M.

If you have anymore questions on techniques or painting recipes on Angron let me know in the comments and I will try and put together future articles for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment